Parkman's Overlook Cemetery
Street Address - 18145 Tavern Rd Burton Ohio
Dale Komandt - Cemetery Sexton
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Effective September 18, 2001
Amended July 15, 2005
Amended May 7, 2019
|The Trustees of Parkman Township
have adopted certain rules and regulations
governing Overlook Cemetery, which are as follows:
1. The Cemetery’s normal hours are from daylight to dusk.
2. Any act of vandalism should be reported immediately. The Township will prosecute.
3. Veteran’s flags will be displayed for a reasonable time for Memorial Day.
These flags are the property of Parkman Township.
4. All trees and shrubs planted in Overlook Cemetery will be planted under the direction
of the Sexton and/or the Township Trustees.
a. Shrubs or trees planted without permission from the Sexton or Township Trustees
will be removed at their discretion. An application to plant shrubs or trees must be
obtained from the Sexton and/or the Township Trustees
b. Plantings are to be made behind (East) of the monument in a half-moon effect.
c. The planted tree/shrub will be maintained by the family/friends, i.e. watering, fertilizing etc.,
until it is able to maintain itself.
d. No stones, slag or other material will be used around the monuments.
e. The height of trees or shrubs planted on or near graves will be limited to only six (6) feet.
They will be planted in line with the monument. Trees/shrubs that grow beyond a lot line
or which become a nuisance to adjoining burial lots will be removed.
f. The Trustees and Sexton will designate land in and around the Cemetery to be used as
Memorial Tree and Shrub areas, where people can plant a Living Tribute. Plaques will be
placed by the Trustees to designate these areas.
5. All trees and shrubs planted at Overlook Cemetery will become the property of Overlook Cemetery
and will be trimmed as needed at the discretion of the Sexton/Trustees. Any and all plantings are subject
to further regulation of the Township, and to amendment of those regulations.
6. Flowering plants will be planted under the direction of the Sexton and/or Township Trustees.
Upon planting, they become the property of Overlook Cemetery. Only flowering plants will
be allowed. Absolutely NO thorny plants, such as roses, will be allowed. All small plantings
must be maintained by family/friends. The Township or Cemetery will not maintain these plantings.
Plantings which are not maintained are subject to removal without notice. Any and all plantings are
subject to further regulation of the Township, and to amendment of those regulations.
7. Fresh flowers will be removed at the discretion of the Sexton.
8. No glass jars will be allowed.
9. All artificial flowers will be placed in a container and will be removed at the discretion of the Sexton.
10. No stones, slag or other material will be used around the monuments. Organic mulch may be used.
11. No foot stone will be allowed except Veterans Administration markers, or to finish a family lot where
there are foot stones already present.
12. A Veteran’s stone which is used as a foot stone will be a flush-mount plaque over the gravesite.
13. All monuments will have a concrete foundation six inches (6”) larger in each direction than the base of
the stone to be installed, i.e. an 12” x 24” monument must have a minimum of a 24” x 36” concrete foundation.
The foundation must be in place before the monument is delivered. Foundations will only be installed by
township employees or approved contractors. Graves will be opened by township employees or approved
14. All deeds will be verified by the Sexton before funeral arrangements are made.
15. No Cemetery lots will be sold directly to funeral directors.
16. A concrete vault must be used for all burials. Ashes must be in a ceramic urn.
17. A grave shall contain the remains of a maximum of one (1) coffin and up to
two (2) additional ashes, or three (3) ashes total, if no coffin is buried there.
18. All rules are subject to change at the discretion of the Township Trustees.
19. All decorations shall be removed by April of each year for a period of at least two (2) weeks to allow for
general cleanup of the grounds. Any items not removed by that time are subject to removal by the Sexton.
Any suggestions for
improving the Cemetery are welcome and can be made to the Sexton or the